Sunday, February 8, 2015

Notes on eating spoon design

I have been studying eating spoon design these days, trying to figure out what feels right to me.  Here are some of my notes:

  • How much should the bowl rise in relation to the handle?  About 15 degrees, so it comes up to meet the mouth.  
  • How long should the bowl be in relation to its width?  About 1.6 to 1.  
  • How long should the spoon be in relation to the length of the bowl?  About 3 to 1, though this can vary significantly.  
  • How about handle shape?  I like the tail of the handle to thicken and kick up a bit at the end, giving the hand something to grasp onto.  I also like a little concavity in the top of the handle where the thumb can register.  
  • As to the bottom of the handle, the transition of the the keel of the stem to the underside of the handle should have a little flat surface to provide the middle finger a place to rest, otherwise the spoon feels a little unstable.  
  • The plan view of the handle can vary significantly, though lots of decorative bulges and points don't always work so well in the hand.  I like a little bulge near where the index finger wraps around the side, giving it a nice purchase on the spoon.
So, what does this look like?  Not sure yet, but here are a few recent cherry spoons that I am liking:

The overall length to bowl length ratio on this one is a little under 3 to 1

This one kicks up ever so slightly in the tail.

Here my index finger has a bulge to wrap around.  Feels good!

Here my middle finger has a flat to rest on.


This spoon is longer than the above spoon, ratio now over 3 to 1.  It is nice for deeper bowls.  Reaches right in there!

This one has a great swell at the tail.  Feels very secure!
My index finger rests comfortably on that bulge.

I rounded the keel on this one a bit, so my index does not quite know where to sit...
It is OK, but not as nice as the first spoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment