So, between grading batches of tests this weekend I buckled down and built this:
Dave Fisher's website has plans for a bowl horse from dimensional lumber, so I went with that. I wish I had the time to make it from green wood, but I don't, and I already had much of the lumber in my basement.
Now, recently Jarrod StoneDahl posted some videos of his spoon-making process, including one of his "Spoon Mule." This device makes a ton of sense to me, especially since my wrists have been hurting lately from carving lots of hard apple. So, I decided to make a spoon mule attachment for the bowl horse.
|Slide the dumb head out of the way, insert the spoon mule attachment...|
|...and presto chango: a spoon mule!|
I like the idea of reconfiguring one horse for different jobs. Saves space. I am also considering how to reposition the dumb head and add a slanted work surface to transform it into a traditional shave horse.
Anyway, I have not really put them through their paces yet. Can't wait to see how they work. But first, I really need to finish grading those tests...
Many thanks to Dave and Jarrod for the inspiration.