Thursday, November 11, 2021

Shop update

Snibbskal flying out the door...
 
    When the pandemic hit and all of our lives changed, I was able to ramp up my woodturning.  The commute to my day job disappeared when I started teaching my classes from the comfort of my home.  Turning bowls in my spare time became possible: teach, run down to the shop and turn, brush off the shavings, and run back to my room for the next class. It was a sweet life...
    I was really pleased with that surge of output, feeling like the consistency was allowing me to produce some of my best work yet.  But just as my output went up, full-time craftspeople were really struggling.  No longer able to teach, they came to rely very heavily on craft sales, and in such a moment it just did not feel right to put my stuff up for sale.  So I boxed it all up and tucked it away in my shop.
    Since then life has returned to a "new normal."  I am back in the classroom, teaching history from behind a mask.  Professional woodworkers are also returning to the classroom, providing an important income stream.  I was excited to hear from Jarrod Dahl during a recent Zoom seminar on crooked knife history and design that he just bought a building and plans to open The Woodspirit School of Traditional Craft.  Keep your eyes open for that!  
    And so, with things stabilizing, I have decided to update my Shop with some of what I turned last year.  So far the response has been humbling, as several bowls have sold in just the past week.  Thanks to all for your support!  If you see anything that strikes your fancy, send me an email at ericgoodson38@gmail.com.  My next shop update will focus on spoons, specifically eating spoons.  More soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment