Saturday, October 19, 2019

Fits and starts

Fall always seems to be a "return to craft" time for me.  Summer comes and the outdoors calls, but as the season changes and as I need a break from grading, I always turn to craft in the Autumn months. Helps me stay balanced.
We took down several red oaks over the past year, and what has not been turned to firewood is now making its way into various projects.  A quick and easy one, which helped me practice dimensioning stock and carving, was this instrument rack.  Carving inspired by Peter Follansbee.  I enjoyed exploring free carving and textures with this piece.  Made a punch for the upper background but went for a scalloped/carved texture around the s-scrolls.  Milk paint slightly rubbed away highlights the effect.  I like it.  

I am also amazed at how forgiving the eye is, a point that Peter makes well.  I think he talks about "imprecise symmetry," or something along those lines. 

Anyway, it has the ukuleles off the floor, which my wife appreciates.



2 comments:

  1. I love it, Eric. The red provides a nice contrast, and so does the texturing above. And the pattern designed with the location of the pegs in mind is lovely. "Balanced." That's a good reminder. Thanks.
    Dave Fisher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Dave. I hope we can catch up again sometime soon.
      And thanks for the reminder on your blog about the "Contemporary Greenwood" exhibit. As luck would have it, I am heading up to midcoast Maine in a few weeks to spend time with Oliver Pratt and Kayla, and hopefully we can head over to Rockport to see the exhibit.

      Delete